POINT OF VIEW: Selecting a Narrator & Hooking the Reader
Hope you can join me and hundreds of talented authors at this bi-annual writing conference March 27-29 at the Embassy Suites in Brea, CA.
I’ll also host a 90-minute hands-on workshop called “Sizzling Scenes” on Sunday morning.
For more information about this exciting event go to http://caldreaminwritersconf.org/
Offered every spring….
Intermediate Novel & Memoir Writing, a 10-week series.
February 19, – April 30, 2015–Learn the secrets of best-selling authors in this intensive course beginning February 19 at 6pm in Lake Forest, CA. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a note via the Comment box at right.
You come away with confidence, valuable contacts, and —
- a complete outline of a project (vetted by me and your peers).
- a character arc that stems from an early wound and dovetails seamlessly into the plot spine.
- a minimum of 30 scene ideas for the current project and likely many more.
- control over the scene goal and opening emotion to keep readers hooked.
- competence with key craft skills: scene design, emotion, sensory, descriptive detail, narrative bridges, jump cuts, pacing, dialogue.
- knowledge of traditional publishing, self-publishing, “indy” publishing—so you can target the right venue for your work.
- lots of easy-to-follow handouts, PowerPoint presentations, film clips and excerpts of great writing as well as fill-in forms to make it easy to master the concepts.
About your instructor
Best-selling author, writing instructor, and editor Louella Nelson, recipient of the Distinguished Instructor Award from the University of California, Irvine, offers both fundamental and advanced courses in fiction and creative nonfiction writing. Many of her students and clients are agented, published, award-winners, and best-selling authors who write novels, short stories, memoirs, essays, and nonfiction books. Lou is published in fiction and nonfiction, has conducted successful author promotions, and has been featured on radio and television. A past-president of Orange County romance writers, she holds a master’s in English with an emphasis in nineteenth-century British literature and an undergraduate degree in English and creative writing from Chapman University.
Get in Touch:
If you have interest in writing classes, consultations about your project, or developmental editing, send a separate email to email@example.com or via the Contact Me link at right, indicating your interest in these or other craft how-to writing courses, seminars, consultations, or developmental editing services.
Award-winning and USA Today/NY Times best-selling author Debra Holland says, “Wild Montana Sky and its sequels have been #1, #2, and #3 on the Amazon Top 100 Western Romance list. My success is definitely due to Lou Nelson. She is the writing teacher, mentor, and editor extraordinaire!”
“Lou Nelson is absolutely the best writing teacher in our area…. She’s changed my life as well as my writing.” –Deborah Gaal, award-winning agented writer.
Fee for a life-changing 10 weeks, $450. Email or call to hold your
spot or request more information: 949-916-3310
Offered every September…
Beginning Your Novel or Memoir, 10 inspiring weeks with best-selling author and award-winning writing instructor Louella Nelson.
Fostering Your Dream of Being a Writer.
Invest in your dream.
You’re so worth it!___________________________________________________